This course is open to all counsellors trained to Diploma level (level 4) in any modality, with at least two years’ post qualification experience and 450 hours of supervised client hours (including those gained whilst a student counsellor), who are receiving supervision for a minimum of 1.5 hours per month, a member of a counselling professional body and have attended our one day workshop ‘Reflective Practice in Counselling Supervision’ at any point in the last three years.
This Course aims to provide a clear and relevant understanding of the professional knowledge and skills needed to be an effective counselling supervisor within the changing and diverse environment of present day counselling psychology.
The course will incorporate the key counselling supervision skills highlighted in the BACP Counselling Supervision Curriculum Framework so that learners are able to effectively build their practice in counselling supervision in line with the current expectations of the profession.
In addition it will also actively engage participants with the BACP Ethical Framework and apply it to best practice in counselling supervision.
Using both theory and practical activities, the course will encourage individual and group learning and will be ideal for those who recognise the importance of experiential and practical learning.
Participants will be expected to take responsibility of their own learning. Our facilitator will use communicative education techniques throughout and participants must be willing to engage with all the group members during all group activities, to further advance all participants’ learning, as practice time is built into every session and assessment is carried out throughout the course.
The full Course Guide will be provided on Day 1.
A minimum of 80% attendance of the 12 study days
At the beginning of the course:
- A copy of your Level 4 or above core training certificate
- A copy of your Professional Body membership
- A copy of the certificate to show you have attended our one day workshop ‘Reflective Practice in Counselling Supervision’ within the last three years from March 2016.
- A log showing all supervision undertaken in the last year and a letter from your current supervisor to say you have attended a minimum of 1.5hrs of supervision per month
- A log showing total client hours (450 minimum requirement. Please indicate those before qualification and those since)
At the end of the course:
A portfolio which contains:
- Three 3000 word pass marked essays
- A log showing a minimum of 40 hours counselling supervision practice with at least two supervisees (not seen as a pair)
- A log showing a minimum of 10 hours of consultative supervision with a suitably qualified supervisor
- A letter from your supervisor confirming you have attended a minimum of 10 hours of consultative supervision to discuss your supervisees and stating that sufficient growth in the role and learning has been demonstrated for the award to be awarded.
Total taught per day 5 hours: 60 contact hours
In addition counsellors will be expected to commit 8 hours a month to personal study, assignment preparation and background reading.
“You don’t know what you don’t know about being a Supervisor until you have attended this course and Stephan makes the course great fun and relaxed”
“This course really broadened my thinking and knowledge and pushed me out of my comfort zone. I now feel well equipped to begin offering supervision. The course is great value for money and I know it will enable me to gain paid employment.”
“Stephan’s workbooks are great! – informative and reflective. A fantastic resource. The intellectual challenge has been a delight and the course has been a perfect combination of theory and practice.”
“I really enjoyed Stephan’s style of teaching which has enabled me to develop as a Supervisor, to learn and to be challenged.”
“I found the discussions around diversity, equality and inclusion particularly useful and attending this course has been a joy.”
“The course exceeded my expectations – I have really travelled in terms of confidence and knowledge.”
“Thanks to Carol and Stephan – this has been a significant and joyful part of this year’s journey for me and has re-ignited my enthusiasm for my future as a counsellor and supervisor.”