- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 115g Butter
- 115g Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 115g Black Treacle (about 7-8 tbsp)
- 115g Golden Syrup (about 7-8 tbsp)
- 250ml Whole Milk
- 85g Drained Stem Ginger, finely grated
- 1 Egg
- Heat Oven 180C (Fan ovens 160)
- Put butter, flour, soda and all spices into a large bowl
- Rub into the flour until fine breadcrumbs
- Put sugar, treacles, syrup and milk in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring up the heat until just below boiling point.
- Add stem ginger to the flour mixture, then pour in treacle mixture.
- Break in the egg and beat until mixture is all combined,
- Place mixture into greased cake tin.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
After cooling can be frozen for up to a month wrapped in greaseproof paper and cling film.
Can also be kept for upto two weeks in an airtight container.