Prepare: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 1/2 tsp English mustard powder
- 30g unsalted butter chilled and cubed
- 75g Red Leicester grated
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 150ml whole milk
- 1 egg, beaten to glaze
- Preheat oven to 200℃ gas mark 6.
- Fry the lardon in a dry pan for 8-10 minutes, until crisp.
- Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Put the flour, mustard powder and a large pinch of salt in a bowl with a grind of black pepper.
- Add the butter and , using you fingertips, work in until combined.
- Roughly chop the lardons, then toss through the mixture with the red leicester and chives.
- Make a well in the centre. Pour in the milk and bring together with a knife.
- Knead briefly and lightly to combined, then pat out on a floured surface to 2cm thick.
- Cut out 5-6cm rounds using a buscuit cutter.
- Re-roll any extra dough to make 6-8 scones.
- Put on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bush with egg, bake for 18-20 minutes, until risen and golden.