skip to Main Content
Back To Top
- 150ml of water
- 100g mixed dried fruit
- 150g light soft brown sugar
- 100g butter
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 175g plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- Put the water, fruit, sugar, butter and bicarbonate of soda in a thick-based saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the fruit doesn’t catch.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Heat the oven to 180C or gas Mark 4 and then grease and line a 1lb (450g) loaf tin.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the mixture in the saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Turn into the tin and bake in the oven for about 1¼ hours or until the loaf is well risen and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin and then store in an airtight tin for 2 to 3 days before serving sliced, spread with butter.