skip to Main Content
Back To Top
- 250g grated cooked beetroot (not in vinegar or brine)
- 100g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate
- 125g butter
- 150 g dark muscovado sugar
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 3 beaten eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- Red food colouring
- Tub of Cream cheese (Philadelphia) – at room temperature
- Enough icing sugar, sifted, to make a thick icing
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 350 F or gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 23cm cake tin.
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Cream together the butter and sugars and gradually add in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt in the butter mix.
- Stir in the beetroot and then the melted chocolate.
- Mix, pour into tin and bake for 35 to 50 minutes, using the skewer test to check when it is cooked.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the cream cheese until smooth and then add food colouring to your desired colour before adding enough icing sugar to make a thickicing to adorn the top of your cake.